Legal Intern, Office of the General Counsel
Location: Greater Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania, USA
Reports to: General Counsel
Internship Type: Paid (no academic credit offered)
Status: Full-time or Part-time, 10 to 40 hours per week, Temporary or Regular
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Organization and Position
The John Templeton Foundation aspires to become a global catalyst for discoveries that contribute to human flourishing by enabling people to create lives of purpose and meaning. We fund research and catalyze conversations across disciplines—from astrophysics, evolutionary biology, and genetics, to philosophy, psychology, and economics – to inspire awe and wonder and help us understand what it means to live a life full of purpose and meaning.
To support our team in advancing the Foundation’s mission, we are seeking an intern to support our legal department. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Intern will support the daily operations of the legal department’s processes and systems. The ideal candidate for the role is a law student with excellent attention to detail and exceptional drafting, proofreading and editing skills. This role is a wonderful opportunity to gain experience in an in-house legal department while obtaining practical knowledge of reviewing commercial contracts, conducting legal research and maintaining legal files under the direction of the General Counsel.
Areas of Responsibility
- Assist with the intake, review, production, distribution and archiving of JTF contracts for services, including serving as the secondary interface with the staff on such processes.
- Under the supervision of other team members in the Office of the General Counsel, draft responses to staff questions about the JTF contracting process, including requests for changes to JTF’s standard consulting agreement, requests for expedited contract reviews/requests, and questions about specific terms in JTF’s standard consulting agreement or a consultant’s agreement.
- Under the supervision of other team members in the Office of the General Counsel, draft correspondence with JTF consultants regarding the JTF contracting process, including sending JTF contracts using standard email templates, requesting changes on behalf of JTF to the consultant’s agreement, and responding to consultant’s questions about JTF’s contracting process.
- Perform legal and factual research, including internet research as needed.
- Compose special and general correspondence for General Counsel and other legal department members as needed.
- Assist with special legal department projects as directed by the General Counsel.
- Assist with departmental administrative matters to support department colleagues as needed.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 1L or 2L law student
- Excellent attention to detail
- Exceptional drafting, internet research, proofreading and editing skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to understand the Foundation’s mission and core themes
The position will be based in the Foundation’s offices, located in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania. The Legal Intern will need to maintain an in-office presence but may work remotely for a portion of their week in accordance with our hybrid work policy.
West Conshohocken, PA is a short drive (~15 miles) from Philadelphia and there is a nearby commuter train station with service into downtown Philadelphia. The offices are close to residential and commercial districts with multiple restaurants.
To learn more about the role, or to apply, please visit www.templetoncareers.org.