Legal Intern, Office of the General Counsel
Location: Philadelphia metro area, Pennsylvania, USA
Reports to: General Counsel
Internship Type: Paid (no academic credit offered)
Status: Part-Time, 15 – 30 hours per week
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Organization and Position
The John Templeton Foundation serves as a philanthropic catalyst for discoveries relating to the deepest and most perplexing questions facing humankind. We support research within disciplines ranging from astrophysics, evolutionary biology, and genetics, to philosophy, psychology, and economics. We encourage civil, informed dialogue among scientists, philosophers, and theologians, as well as between such experts and the public at large. In all cases, our goal is to spur curiosity and accelerate discovery. To catalyze such discoveries, we provide grants for independent academic research on a wide range of topics that relate to the Foundation’s mission.
To support our team in advancing the Foundation’s mission, we are seeking an intern to support our legal department. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Intern will support the daily operations of the legal department’s processes and systems. The ideal candidate for the role is a law student with excellent attention to detail and exceptional drafting, proofreading and editing skills. This role is a wonderful opportunity to gain experience in an in-house legal department while obtaining practical knowledge of reviewing commercial contracts, conducting legal research and maintaining legal files under the direction of the General Counsel.
Areas of Responsibility
- Assist with the intake, review, production, distribution and archiving of JTF contracts for services, including serving as the secondary interface with the staff on such processes.
- Under the supervision of other team members in the Office of the General Counsel, draft responses to staff questions about the JTF contracting process, including requests for changes to JTF’s standard consulting agreement, requests for expedited contract reviews/requests, and questions about specific terms in JTF’s standard consulting agreement or a consultant’s agreement.
- Under the supervision of other team members in the Office of the General Counsel, draft correspondence with JTF consultants regarding the JTF contracting process, including sending JTF contracts using standard email templates, requesting changes on behalf of JTF to the consultant’s agreement, and responding to consultant’s questions about JTF’s contracting process.
- Perform legal and factual research, including internet research as needed.
- Compose special and general correspondence for General Counsel and other legal department members as needed.
- Assist with special legal department projects as directed by the General Counsel.
- Assist with departmental administrative matters to support department colleagues as needed.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 1L, 2L or 3L law student
- Excellent attention to detail
- Exceptional drafting, internet research, proofreading and editing skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to understand the Foundation’s mission and core themes
We are committed to caring for our employees and their families through exceptional benefits. We offer employee medical, dental and vision coverage. Part-time employees working at least 20 hours per week are benefits eligible.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, this will be a remote position through at least January 3, 2021. The Foundation has not yet set a date to resume regular in-office operations. When the Foundation does resume regular in-office operations, the position will be based in the Foundation’s offices, located in West Conshohocken, PA. Advanced notice will be provided for the resumption of regular in-office operations.
West Conshohocken, PA is a short drive (~15 miles) from Philadelphia and within walking distance of a commuter train station into downtown Philadelphia. The offices are close to residential and commercial districts with multiple restaurants.