Director, Strategic Communication
Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Programs, the Director of Strategic Communication will oversee the branding and messaging efforts of the John Templeton Foundation. The Director will play a crucial role in creating a greater share of voice with key, identified audiences in ways that clearly and memorably reflect the Foundation’s goals and priorities. The branding activities will include development and maintenance of all of the Foundation’s digital properties, as well as implementation and oversight of its social media strategy. Relatedly, the Director will oversee the administration of and publicity for the Templeton Prize. In addition, the Director will work with Foundation leadership to manage a consistent messaging strategy to be used by staff, leadership, and the Foundation Board in formal and informal presentations. The Director will also be responsible for overseeing key recurring Foundation Communication activities, such as the production of a biennial Foundation Report, and for ad hoc Communications initiatives as directed by the President or Senior Vice President of Programs. The Director will also collaborate with the Director of Public Engagement and the Senior Vice President of Programs in identifying important outputs of Foundation funded work that can be used to advance the Foundation’s Communication and Engagement goals.
Areas of Responsibility
- Develop and maintain the Foundation’s corporate branding and messaging strategy.
- Produce, commission, curate, and edit rotating and new content for the Foundation’s digital properties (including templeton.org, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.), including feature articles on grants, case studies of topically aligned grants, news features, short video features, etc.
- Develop and oversee the Foundation’s social media messaging strategy.
- Collaborate with other Foundation offices to administer and publicize the Templeton Prize program.
- Oversee production of occasional Foundation Communications reports and produce ad hoc Communications materials at the direction of the President and Senior Vice President, Programs.
- Collaborate with the Department of Public Engagement and Program staff to monitor key grant developments and determine appropriate means to increase visibility of such findings.
- Monitor the Foundation’s reputation as reflected in the media and social media, amplify positive Foundation messaging and respond, as necessary, to negative messaging.
- Oversee crisis communications responses as needed.
Criteria & Relevant Skills
- 7+ years of professional experience, in public relations, social marketing, communications, or journalism preferably in senior editorial and/or publication management roles.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s preferred.
- Diverse portfolio of writing samples required.
- Demonstrated track record or writing and producing print and digital content for a range of audiences.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills. Ability to tell a story and command attention of an audience.
- Ability to work in a collaborative and fast-paced environment with a proactive and independent working style, to meet deadlines, to work under pressure, and to handle multiple priorities.
- Strong personal interest in the Foundation’s mission.