Digital Communications Associate
Location: Philadelphia metro area, Pennsylvania, USA
Reports to: Director, Strategic Communication
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications and experience
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Organization and Position
The John Templeton Foundation serves as a philanthropic catalyst for discoveries relating to the deepest and most perplexing questions facing humankind. We support research within disciplines ranging from astrophysics, evolutionary biology, and genetics, to philosophy, psychology, and economics. We encourage civil, informed dialogue among scientists, philosophers, and theologians, as well as between such experts and the public at large. In all cases, our goal is to spur curiosity and accelerate discovery. To catalyze such discoveries, we provide grants for independent academic research on a wide range of topics that relate to the Foundation’s mission.
The purpose of the Communications and Engagement team is to expand awareness of the work funded by the John Templeton Foundation and generate constructive engagement in that work. That engagement includes the sharing and discussion of discoveries related to life’s purpose and human happiness.
We are investing in our brand and outreach, and we are looking for the right person to support an ambitious ecosystem of Foundation content on the big ideas in our world.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communication, the Digital Communications Associate supports content development for the Foundation. S/he is responsible for developing useful and inspiring content that supports the Foundation’s goals and helps make authentic connections with key audiences sharing our goals. It is an editorial effort that must blend research, writing, and innovative multichannel storytelling.
The Digital Communications Associate will participate in expanding awareness of the brand and mission through all forms of storytelling, S/he will help to produce content including blogs, podcasting, and digital events. S/he will contribute to the strategic deployment of that content by supporting social posting, email building, and paid campaigns.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
- Manage website content including primary responsibility for SEO, taxonomy, and user experience
- Support ideation, editing, and production of email newsletters.
- Write short form content including short summaries of research for the website, and some blog posts.
- Perform research for the communications director to utilize in producing the longer and more substantive posts.
- Assist with development of audio or video conversations to pair with research. This could be done as part of a podcast process or separate from it.
- Commission or create web and social graphics including illustrations, data visualizations and/or interactives.
- Contribute to ideation and production of organic social media campaigns that convey the stories across those platforms.
- Assist with the planning, development and production of content and strategy for the Templeton Prize, and will provide support for other Prize-related events and activities managed by the Communications Department.
- Monitor channels that the Foundation can explore and/or new formats for content.
- Monitor brand presence in existing digital channels and make recommendations around content.
- Manage special projects around content.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- At least three years of relevant professional experience in some form of multimedia production at a media publication, agency, large nonprofit, university or corporation. Experience with a knowledge brand is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Excellent writing skills, organizational skills, and ability to think creatively and take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to maximize the impact of various digital channels, manage multiple projects in different phases and how to juggle the needs of multiple distinct audiences.
- Interest in audience engagement and experiences on websites, multiple social channels and understanding of how to create an integrated and excellent experience for the Foundation community.
- Demonstrated success working across multi-channel environments with experience in content strategy and leveraging one form of content to improve another.
- Experience managing websites (WordPress preferred) both on the operations side and in thinking strategically about SEO, taxonomy, and user experience.
- Experience using social media to promote a brand including developing posts, managing an editorial calendar and using social media monitoring tools.
- Enthusiasm for translating scientific, philosophical, or otherwise complex ideas into more digestible language and formats.
We are committed to caring for our employees and their families through exceptional benefits. We pay for 100% of employee medical, dental and vision premiums, and generously contribute to family premiums.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Digital Communications Associate role will be a remote position through at least September 6, 2021. The Foundation does plan to resume in-office operations when it is safe to do so, and the position will be based in the Foundation’s offices, located in West Conshohocken, PA. Advanced notice will be provided for the resumption of in-office operations.
West Conshohocken, PA is a short drive (~15 miles) from Philadelphia and within walking distance of a commuter train station into downtown Philadelphia. The offices are close to residential and commercial districts with multiple restaurants, as well as Philadelphia’s Main Line suburbs where Villanova University, Bryn Mawr College and Haverford College are located. The surrounding area has many walkable communities with an affordable cost of living and a robust variety of cultural and entertainment opportunities, including a vibrant food scene, five professional sports teams, world-class museums, galleries, gardens, and a broad array of music venues and other performing arts institutions. The offices are in close proximity to major highways, with New York City, the Jersey shore, the Pocono Mountains, and the heart of Pennsylvania’s Amish country all within a two-hour drive. The offices also provide easy access to Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor (making New York City or Washington, D.C. an easy day trip) and to Philadelphia International Airport, an American Airlines hub serving destinations throughout the U.S. (more than a hundred routes), Caribbean (a dozen routes), and Europe/MENA (more than twenty routes).