Digital Communications Associate
Location: Greater Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania, USA
Reports to: Director, Strategic Communication
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications and experience
Organization and Position
The John Templeton Foundation funds research and catalyzes conversations that inspire people with awe and wonder. Our purpose is to enable people to create lives of purpose and meaning. To do this, we support research within disciplines ranging from astrophysics, evolutionary biology, and genetics, to philosophy, theology, psychology, and economics. We also fund podcasts, documentary films, and other forms of content creation.
The purpose of the Communications team is to expand awareness of the John Templeton Foundation and generate conversations on the projects and topics we support.
We are investing in our brand and outreach at the Foundation, and we are looking for the right person to support an ambitious ecosystem of Foundation content on the big ideas in our world.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communication, the Digital Associate supports content development for the Foundation. They are responsible for managing a robust pipeline of stories that feed into multiple channels through which the Foundation reaches its audiences. The role calls for a skilled, energetic digital storyteller who can write headlines, cut images, and distill complex ideas.
The Digital Associate will participate in expanding awareness of the brand and mission through all forms of digital storytelling. They will help to produce content including blogs, podcasting, and digital events. They will contribute to the strategic deployment of that content by supporting social posting, email building, and paid campaigns.
Areas of Responsibility
- Manage Templeton.org and TempletonPrize.org, including:
- Manage and maintain editorial calendars
- Develop and update content
- Source brand-consistent imagery
- Manage maintenance and troubleshooting
- Manage SEO, taxonomy, and user experience
- Write and edit content, such as blog posts, headlines, social copy
- Audit website regularly and recommend improvements
- Upload videos to Foundation and Templeton Prize YouTube channel and embed on websites
- Support for Templeton Ideas Podcast, including:
- Managing podcast vendors
- Reviewing transcripts and pulling usable content
- Creating digital assets for social media and the website
- Assist podcast host before and during interviews with guests
- Tech support
- Support administrative needs of the Communications Department
- Track contracts through the review process; review contract summaries with contract managers and take action, as needed, to support contract renewal or close; track work orders and invoices related to open contracts
- Submit departmental expense reports
- Manage the communications and general info email inboxes and field inquiries to appropriate staff members
- Support the procurement and maintenance of digital assets necessary for digital communications work
- Assist with the planning, development, and production of content and strategy for the Templeton Prize and provide support for other Prize-related events and activities managed by the Communications Department.
- Support Senior Communications Specialist with ideation, editing, and production of email campaigns, and development of assets and posting for social media, as needed
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- At least three years of relevant professional experience in some form of multimedia production at a media publication, agency, large nonprofit, university or corporation. Experience with a knowledge brand is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Excellent writing skills, organizational skills, and ability to think creatively and take initiative.
- Experience managing websites (WordPress preferred) both on the operations side and in thinking strategically about SEO, taxonomy, and user experience.
- Graphic design skills (e.g. Canva or Adobe suite). Interest in basic video editing a plus.
- Experience with podcasts or interest and aptitude to develop basic podcast production skills
- Interest in audience engagement and managing editorial pipeline for the Foundation community.
- Enthusiasm for translating scientific, philosophical, or otherwise complex ideas into more digestible language and formats.
We are committed to caring for our employees and their families through exceptional benefits. We pay for 100% of employee medical, dental and vision premiums, and generously contribute to family premiums. We provide life insurance, short-term disability coverage and long-term disability coverage at no cost to employees. We offer a 401(k)-retirement savings plan with an employer match and additional discretionary contributions. Paid time off includes generous vacation, sick, and personal days. The Foundation offers a unique donation program, enabling employees the ability to direct a $5,000 donation to a mission aligned organization of their choice, with no employee donation required.
The position will be based in the Foundation’s offices, located in West Conshohocken, PA. The Foundation permits hybrid work in accordance with our hybrid work policy which allows team members to request a schedule that includes up to two days of remote work per week.
West Conshohocken, PA, is a short drive (~15 miles) from Philadelphia and there is a nearby commuter train station into downtown Philadelphia.