Organization and Position
The mission of the John Templeton Foundation is to serve as a philanthropic catalyst for discoveries relating to life’s biggest questions. As a grantmaking organization, we fund research and outreach at the intersection of science and spirituality. We encourage civil, informed dialogue among scientists, philosophers, and theologians, as well as between such experts and the public at large. Led by a unique vision and extraordinary people, we seek to advance spiritual progress by funding the best ideas, analyzing our grants, and capitalizing on what we learn.
The Communications department oversees the branding and messaging efforts of the John Templeton Foundation including our digital properties and social media presence. The department’s work is essential in sharing the Foundation’s mission, goals and priorities with internal and external audiences.
To advance our mission and strengthen our extraordinary team, the Foundation is seeking a Communications Associate. Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communication, the Communications Associate is responsible for supporting the various Communications activities of the department. The Communications Associate’s specific activities include assisting with digital activities, advertising campaigns, conducting research and providing planning and administrative support to the department. Notably, the Communications Associate will also assist with the planning, development and production of a media campaign for the Templeton Prize, and will provide support for other Prize-related events and activities managed by the Communications Department.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Marketing or a relevant field. At least three years of professional experience is required and experience in journalism, marketing and/or event-planning is preferred. Our new Communications Associate will have the ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks and will be highly organized and creative. Demonstrated experience with website management, social media and graphic design is preferred. An interest in the Foundation’s mission is essential.
Areas of Responsibility
- Assist with the research, development, and production of social media posts, website updates, video development, Possibilities newsletter, and other digital activities
- Assist with the planning, development, and production of a media campaign for the Templeton Prize and other Prize-related events and activities managed by the communications department
- Provide administrative support for Director, Strategic Communication and Communications Specialist
- Assist with advertising campaigns in print and digital/social media channels
- Assist with the research, writing, and proofreading of marketing and website copy
- Compile monthly event calendar spreadsheet for website
- Compile monthly grant report for website and Possibilities newsletter
- Schedule communications events, meetings, conference calls, and other communications activities and manage any necessary preparations, including agendas
- Maintain inventory of branded materials and stationery
- Catalogue and maintain digital properties, such as stock images, Sir John images, etc.
- Manage the communications and general info email inboxes and field inquiries to appropriate staff members
- Assist with contract, amendment, and work order requests as needed
- Conduct research and obtain permissions (such as for images) as needed
- Field requests from colleagues who require communications support
- General project support for communications department
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Marketing, or relevant field
- 3+ years relevant professional work experience required; journalism, marketing or event planning experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience with websites (WordPress preferred), social media, and graphic design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and creative ability
- Ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage multiple tasks
- Experience with Salesforce and/or MailChimp, and/or with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign) preferred
- Knowledge of AP Style preferred
- Strong personal interest in the Foundation’s mission is essential
We are committed to caring for our employees and their families through exceptional benefits. We pay for 100% of employee medical, dental and vision premiums, and generously contribute to family premiums. We provide life insurance, short-term disability coverage and long-term disability coverage at no cost to employees. We offer a 401(k) retirement savings plan with an employer match and additional discretionary contributions. Paid time off includes generous vacation, sick and personal days. The Foundation offers a unique donation program, enabling employees the ability to direct a $5,000 donation to a mission aligned organization of their choice, with no employee donation required
The Foundation’s offices are located approximately 15 miles outside of Philadelphia in West Conshohocken, PA. West Conshohocken is a residential and commercial community in close proximation to major highways and many restaurants. A train station is within walking distance.
To learn more about the Communications Associate role, or to apply, please visit www.templetoncareers.org.
To receive news about the John Templeton Foundation, please sign up at www.templeton.org.